Project: "FRANKENSTEIN"

My design studio needs a shop bike! AND IT'S GOING TO BE MEAN AND GREEN! Mean as in bad a$$ and green as in made of of a bunch of recycled parts.
This is what the donor bike looked like, a 81 yamaha xs650. For those of you that aren't familar, these have quite a cult following and are a great way to do a budget build.
Harley Rapido tank of FleeBay and a motor from a 1972 xs650 and we are off and running. Front and rear disk brake calipers from a 06 GSXR will provide the stopping power along with duel disk fronts on a 06 Suzuki GSXR front end.
Above, 99 Harley Sporster wheels, below, Harley floating disks and GSXR front forks.
This GSXR front end, I have seen this done before but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. This has been a real headache, but now that it is mounted it looks awesome. Toying with running the GSXR clip ons up side down, but we will see on that. Motors in, next is rear fender and seat.
Well, those Harley wheels don't exactly bolt up to that GSXR front end either, basically had to combine a Harely and GSXR front axles into one, a bit of machining involved but man I like those wheels and disks on that front end! I have never seen this combo before, not saying it hasn't been done, I just haven't seen it and really wanted these together so it was worth the pains.
Harley rear disk, new Harely sprocket and longer chain set up.
For the rear fender, I wanted this thing to look like it was floating. I love the look of a really short fender, I may shorten it up even more but for now it's good.
Duel chopper shox set up, not much room but I got them in there.
Mid controls out of rear sets from TCBros. Decided to design a work shirt for my project and print some up.
Well the speedo and tac proved to be a bit of a pain to get mounted on this front end, not exactly set up for old school guages. I designed a bracket to go mount inbetween my upper and clip on's and made a center to join them both and keep things from moving around. I really liked the way they came out.
Making a GSXR rear disk caliper work on my harley discs was a whole other pain in the A$$. Now that it's in there it looks great and was worth the headaches. Next, need to make a hinge for the brake linkage and a mount to hold it all.
On to exhaust, never done pipe before, going to keep it simple and use some scraps I rounded up at a muffler shop for 20 bucks, the exhaust tips I will be using came with my 72 project I picked up, I think they look very cool so planning on running those.
LONG OVER DUE UPDATE! Well, it's been a long while since I posted any project on Frank and it's long over due, I ran into some real hang ups with the wiring. I subbed that out and while technically it was running when I got it back it was running so bad and the so called wiring job was so unstable and not finished I had to basically deam her unridable till I went back through the wiring, rebuilt the carbs among other things.

Long and short of it, I had to do so much work to even get her close to road worthy I made the call to strip here all way done and start painting and finishing so once I get her back together this time it should "technically" be a done deal. Although are these projects ever?

Here is some of what I have been up to and I am hoping to get her on the road this summer although we will see about that.
Some time around the first of the year, once torn down I sanblasded the frame and did a chemical patina on it and clear coat to seal it all in, it a very deep rusted brown, looks really cool. Below I some where along the line spent a bunch more time customizing my battery box and many parts I wasn't 100% happy with in the mock up. This turned out pretty cool, I even used some FJ40 Landcruiser rear jump seat straps I had left over from "Project 78" to tie that battery all in. Canvas straps worked out well and look sharp.
Sometime around 04/2011:

Sometime in April of this year I really spent some time degreasing the motor and cleaning her all up. They I went in and painted the cylinder walls, sanded the fins and added a checmical patina to the aluminium parts on the motor to give it a unique and aged look like the rest of the bike, it's looking really good and can't wait to set it into the frame.

At this point, most of my wiring is ran and got it all tucked away inside the frame and a in a trick custom electrical box under my seat. I will get some photos of that soon as I get the motor dropped back in.
05/2011:

This is my first attempt at leather craft and after this I have a new found respect for the art, the tooling although hard to see at this point took about 8 hours and the stiching and getting it all put together and the foam in the between on the seat pan took about another 2. The color will get much darker once I oil and treat the leather but all in all I am very happy with how it came out for our first try at leather work.
2012:

Well Frank is done and ridable, hoping to get her out on the road this spring. Another project in the books.

BACK TO HOME PAGE >>>